Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

elf studio eye primer and liner sealer

I was reviewing the elf studio primer and I was really impressed with it. Then, we got our first really warm day of the year yesterday. I wore the primer under black eye shadow and after a few hours outside and shopping, and just in general running around doing stuff, the colour was creasing. So, this product doesn't always work. I wasn't sure if I should write a completely new review but I finally decided to include my original review. Just keep in mind, if it's really hot or humid out, this won't work as well with really dark colours.


$3 for 2.5g primer and 4g sealer

What elf says: "The Prime side sets your eyeshadow in so your color won’t fade, bleed or crease. The Liner side transforms your favorite eye shadow into a waterproof, smudge-proof liquid liner with this unique clear liquid and built-in felt tip precision eyeliner brush. Now you can have your eye makeup lasting longer for no fuss no budge color."

First off, I love this primer. It keeps shadows from creasing all day and makes colours appear more pigmented. The key to the primer is applying with your finger and blending in well so you have an even base for colour. The liner sealer does a good job of transforming any eye shadow into liner. This is great if you want to match your liner to your shadow, or even just to have more variety without buying a ton of liquid liners. It doesn’t go on quite as smooth as other liquid liners and you can achieve the same effect with a drop of visine and an angled brush, so it’s not really necessary. And, you have to clean off the brush well after each use or it’ll make your colours murky. The container is also pretty awkward to hold when lining your eyes, so altogether I’m not really a fan of the liner sealer. However, definitely buy this for the primer alone.


I guess I'll have to keep looking for an affordable primer to use in the summer. Leave a comment if you know any that work when it's really humid and warm.


(edit: After that one day where this barely worked, I was so disappointed in this primer. Then I used it again yesterday with black shadow and it didn't crease, even through riding my bike about 90 minutes and five hours in a busy, hot kitchen. I even slept with my eye make up still on, and, shockingly, I woke up with no creasing or fading. Hmm. I guess that one day might have been something of an anomaly.)

No comments: